Friday, July 4, 2014

Where Are the Mr. Smiths?


I made it my ambition to get involved with politics and government after watching "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" in junior high. The speech in the clip below is what made me realize what I wanted to do with my life. I can trace it back to that singular moment.


I'm still idealistic enough to believe in Senator Smith's pleadings against an "establishment" that serves no interest except for the cultivation of its own power and self-interest. I still believe in the nobility and honor of ethical service to others. And I still believe that there is no endeavor more worthy of pursuit than the "lost cause." I believe that the greatest "lost cause" involves the wielding of conferred power with respect and humility. It's about the realization that power doesn't belong to an individual and their allies. It is merely borrowed to accomplish a purpose. And it must be returned to its source when that purpose is accomplished. Power cannot "belong" to a person or group of people. Power cannot be earned since nobody is actually worthy of it. Power can only be entrusted. And it must never become an entitlement or be used for personal gain.

If leaders maintain a humble and ethical relationship with power, everything else will take care of itself. Where are the Jefferson Smiths? We need them now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment